Saturday, May 30, 2009

Update on Taqueria Alayna's

Unbeknownst to me, pretty much simultaneoulsy as I wrote my review of Taqueria Alayna's, they were in the process of selling the shop and preparing to open an actual sit-down restaurant in San Antonio.

While I am, on the one hand very happy for their supposed upgrade, I also was pretty devastated to hear this news. After further inquiry, I learned that the owner's daughter was going to stick around to assist the new owners during the transition period. This gave me hope that at least they were going to try to stay true to Alayna's as best as possible.

Since the switch over, I have gone there a couple of times. The portions are still generous, the tacos are still tasty, and the hot sauce is... well it's good. It's not the same. It's close and it's good, but it's not quite the same. That extra little kick seems to have dissipated.

Overall, still a great taco stand. But a little of the something special has moved to San Antonio with the original owners. Oh, and now they're called Taco-Mex (lame).

Still worth the trip though. I'm getting a little hungry writing this...

No comments:

Post a Comment